If you hold a legal qualification which is not listed in the CILEX Exemptions Table, you can apply for unlisted exemptions. Your application will need to show that you have met the following criteria:
- You have successfully completed the qualification.
- You have completed the qualification at an institution recognised by a regulatory authority or professional body to provide learning and/ or award qualifications.
- You have a certified certificate showing that you have achieved the qualification.
- You have a transcript showing that you have achieved the modules/units of the qualification for which you are applying for exemption.
- The level of the modules or units you have achieved are at the same level or above as the units for which you are seeking exemption.
- Each of the modules/units you achieved and for which you are seeking exemption shows substantial coverage of the law applicable in England and Wales.
- The content/syllabus of the modules/units you achieved covers at least 75% of the relevant CILEX unit content.
Please Note: a period of work experience will not be considered for exemption.
Guidance for Applicants applying for Unlisted Exemptions
1.If you have been working towards a qualifying law degree but have not achieved this and have obtained another degree, you should provide a statement explaining how your qualification differs from a qualifying law degree. CILEX reserves the right to request further information in relation to this which may require you to seek further information from your institution of study.
2.You should only apply for Practice unit exemptions if you are confident that the module/unit achieved shows substantial practical application of the law through the syllabus content and assessment methods. A qualifying law degree or similar programme is unlikely to include substantial coverage of practical application.
3.You must ensure that a copy of the qualification certificate is appropriately signed and certified before submission. The person certifying your certificate must be a practising or retired professional registered with the appropriate professional body, for example, a Chartered Legal Executive, solicitor, barrister or licensed conveyance or must be a representative of an institution recognised by a regulatory authority or professional body to provide learning and or award qualifications and authorised to do sign on the institutions behalf). Please note that CILEX will carry out spot checks to confirm the authenticity of documents. CILEX will not accept original certificates.
Unlisted Exemptions Application Form
If you wish to make an application please complete the Unlisted Exemption Form. Once complete, please return this to us via the general enquiry form on your myCILEX portal. CILEX will confirm its decision within 66 working days of receiving your application, due to the high volume of applications. Please note: that these timescales are subject to receiving complete applications and may change according to the complexity of applications and the volume received at peak application times.
Unlisted Exemptions Fees
For any exemptions you are awarded and which you apply you will be charged
Level 3 – £50 per unit
Level 6 – £92 per Law/Practice unit.
Level 6 – £66 per Professional Skills unit
- CILEX reviews its fees annually. The fees set out above relate to applications for unlisted exemptions submitted between 1 September 2019 and 31 August 2020.