Are there any exceptions?

When can I not administer oaths?

If you are a Fellow paying a reduced subscription fee (retired Fellow, non-practising Fellow or on maternity/paternity pay rates), you cannot administer oaths.

If you are in arrears with your subscriptions, you are not entitled to act as a commissioner for oaths. To do so would be acting contrary to the CILEx bye-laws, and the Legal Services Act 2007. Members who are making regular payments under direct debit arrangements are not classed as ‘in arrears’.

If you have an outstanding CPD obligation for a previous year and have not been granted an extension by CILEx Regulation, you are not entitled to act as a commissioner for oaths.

You should not administer oaths for family members (particularly spouses) where your impartiality might be questioned. For example, administering an oath for a spouse in respect of a personal injury claim for damages where it might be said you have a financial interest in that claim. In such circumstances, it would be prudent for an independent commissioner to administer the oath.

If your question is not answered, contact us via our dedicated customer service enquiry form.