What precautions should I take when administering oaths or taking statutory declarations?
When administering oaths or taking statutory declarations as a Fellow, you should take the following precautions, and ensure that:
- the client is present, and signs the document in your presence;
- the client is competent to swear the affidavit or declaration;
- the client is aware they will be swearing or declaring the truth of the statement;
- the exhibits, if any, are the correct documents referred to;
- you, or your firm, are not acting for the parties, or are otherwise interested in proceedings in which the individual is to swear the oath; and
- you do not administer oaths for family members.
If your question is not answered, contact us via our dedicated customer service enquiry form.