What precautions should I take when administering oaths or
taking statutory declarations?
When administering oaths or taking statutory declarations as a
Fellow, you should take the following precautions, and ensure
- the client is present, and signs the document in your
- the client is competent to swear the affidavit or
- the client is aware they will be swearing or declaring the
truth of the statement;
- the exhibits, if any, are the correct documents referred
- you, or your firm, are not acting for the parties, or are
otherwise interested in proceedings in which the individual is to
swear the oath; and
- you do not administer oaths for family members.
If your question is not answered, contact us via our dedicated customer service enquiry form.