This year's Pro Bono Week takes place 4 - 8 November 2019. Plans are afoot nationwide, and we wanted to make sure you are aware and able to participate.
There are four key themes:
1. Changing lives through pro bono - Highlighting how legal volunteering makes a difference to the public and can even lead to changes in the law.
2. Celebrating pro bono - Showcasing pro bono work and achievements of volunteer lawyers; for example the Advocate Bar Pro Bono Awards on 6th November 2019.
3. Why pro bono is good for you - Demonstrating the career value of pro bono through events which explore the benefits of pro bono in terms of collaboration and impact on practice development.
4. New developments in pro bono - Specific areas of development and best practice in pro bono schemes, such as cross-sector collaboration, new forms of pro bono practice, improving pro bono technical assistance and use of new legal technology.
Events already planned include the following. Further details and links to register can be found at http://www.probonoweek.org.uk
Changing lives through pro bono
- Pro Bono Week Launch event with Joshua Rozenberg on pro bono and human rights (Monday 4th November, The Law Society).
- Breaking the Myths of Pro Bono, BPP (Thursday 7th November, Gowlings WLG, Birmingham). Inspiring stories of how lawyers use their skills to provide to access to justice in their communities and beyond
- Delivering Change: Lawyers’ role in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals hosted by A4ID (Thursday 7th November, Kirkland & Ellis LLP).
Celebrating pro bono
- A Celebration of International Pro Bono, hosted by A4ID (Tuesday 5th November, Allen & Overy LLP). This showcase some of the ROLE UK programme’s supported partnerships and provide an opportunity for idea-sharing and networking.
- Bar Pro Bono Awards 2019 hosted by Advocate (Wednesday 6th November, Child & Co).
Why pro bono is good for you
- Advocate pro bono webinar (Monday 4th November).
- Nationwide simultaneous Young lawyer events, with a working title: “Pro bono: business development’s best kept secret” (Thursday 7th November).
- Advocate Clerks drop in morning (Chancery Lane) (Thursday 7th November).
New developments in pro bono
- Joint APPG on Pro Bono, Public Legal Education and Legal Aid (Tuesday 5th November)
- Advocate Legal Design showcase (Friday 8th November)
Pro Bono Week 2019 LAUNCH EVENT: PRO BONO AND HUMAN RIGHTS
Monday 4 November 2019 6pm for 6.30pm
The Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London, WC2A 1PL
You are invited to join us for an evening chaired by Joshua Rozenberg QC (hon), Britain's best-known commentator on the law, to hear experts discussing the intersection of human rights, public law and pro bono.
Kirsty Brimelow QC, international human rights barrister and former Chair of Bar Human Rights Committee
- Mandy Gill, Head of Legal, British Red Cross Society
- Christina Kumar, Legal Fellow for International Justice Mission in the Philippines
Registration is from 6pm, 6.30pm panel discussion, followed by a drinks reception.