CILEX is Changing consultation
Consultation: CILEX is changing – your views will help shape how
This consultation has concluded.
CILEX is conducting a consultation that will determine how it operates into the future.
This consultation marks the latest stage of the ‘CILEX is Changing’ project. We have previously announced the structural reforms which will improve the Institute’s governance, separating out the duties to act in the public interest, in the interests of the profession, and of independent regulation.
We are now moving on to the more granular changes that will affect both what members see of their Institute and the way in which the Institute interacts with them and others. We believe the time is right for CILEX members and stakeholders to offer their expert views, insights and experiences to inform the next stage of development.
Also, to facilitate this next stage, the Bye-Laws that sit beneath CILEX’s Royal Charter will require amendment and it is good practice that this should be shared with members.
We are seeking views on:
- Whether to move away from the geographical-based election of members to the CILEX Council and replace it with a system of selection and appointment of individuals who have demonstrated they have the right skills and competences for the role.
- Whether to embed the role of CILEX’s regional branches into the governance structure, and how to enhance members’ involvement with their local branch;
- What services are most important to CILEX members and how would they like them delivered;
- What more can be done to engage members in the work of the Specialist Reference Groups that CILEX has developed in recent times;
- The potential role of ‘Task and Finish Groups’ dedicated to a specific task and then disbanded;
- What services members would like to see offered online; and
- Whether to broaden representation within CILEX’s governance structure to members who are not Fellows.
Hear from CILEX Director of Policy and Governance, Simon Garrod, on why your opinions matter about the future of CILEX.
How you can give your views
The consultation runs from 17 April 2018 until midday on 11 July 2018.
Consultation document – CILEX is changing – your views will help shape how
Annex 4 – CILEX Council Constituencies map 2016
Full versions of the following related documents referred to in the consultation paper can also be found here:
- Current Bye-laws and Proposed amendments to the current Bye-laws
- The independent governance review report by Hook Tangaza
- Essential and specialist competences members of the new governance structure are expected to demonstrate
- Terms of Reference for the Boards and Committees in the new governance structure;
- Group Board terms of reference
- CILEX Professional Association Board terms of reference
- CILEX Law School Board terms of reference
- CILEX Group Services Board terms of reference
- Appointments & Scrutiny Committee terms of reference
- Audit & Risk Committee terms of reference
- Finance Committee terms of reference
- Qualifications Committee terms of reference
Responses may be submitted by completing a short survey here: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CILEx-is-changing