Life Long Learning and CPD
At CILEx, we are proud to support our members at every stage of their legal careers and we understand the importance of continual learning, development and upskilling.
Our competence based Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is provided to all our members to ensure that they maintain and enhance their knowledge, skills and competencies to remain at the very top of their game.
To ensure standards are upheld, it is a requirement of CILEx membership that CPD must be achieved and recorded annually. The CPD expectations are different for each membership level, with each having their own specific requirements.
As a Chartered organisation, people look to us to lead the way and provide assurance. Our high standards that all our members must achieve and maintain, allows clients, the legal profession and the wider public to be confident of our members' ongoing competency and skill.
To keep up professionalism and retain CILEx membership status our professional members are expected to register their Continuing Professional Development activity.
- Associates [ACILEx] are expected to demonstrate a minimum of 8 CPD hours each year to with at least 4 hours related to their specialism plus 1 activity entry in professionalism
- Graduates[GCILEx] need to undertake CPD that leads to 9 CPD entries, with at least 1 entry in professionalism
- Fellows [FCILEx] need to undertake CPD that leads to 9 CPD entries, with at least 1 entry in professionalism
- CILEx Conveyancing Practitioners and CILEx Probate Practitioners are expected to demonstrate 9 CPD entries with at least 1 entry in professionalism
Professionalism includes learning and competence in 8 areas:
- Refreshed knowledge and understanding of professional ethics, including the Code of Conduct
- Business Awareness - Knowledge of the primary business of their employer
- Social Awareness - Development an understanding of the issues which may affect your clients
- Client communication skills
- Skills in dealing with challenging clients
- Refreshed knowledge and understanding of equality and diversity issues
- Improved time management skills
- Scope to demonstrate additional professional knowledge, skill or competence.