Who We Are
CILEX is the professional association and governing body for over 21,000 Chartered Legal Executive Lawyers, other legal practitioners and paralegals. Our role is to enhance the role and standing of Chartered Legal Executives and all our members within the legal profession.
For fifty years, we have been offered a unique route to a legal career and becoming a qualified lawyer without a requirement to having a law degree, although law graduates and graduates with non-law degrees can also qualify as a lawyer through the CILEX route. Entry is accessible to those holding a variety of qualification levels.
CILEX is a global leader and innovator within the legal sector, setting high professional and ethical standards and driving greater diversity in the profession for the benefit of society. CILEX-qualified professionals are valued for the rigour of their training, their practical skillset and their specialist expertise.
To transform the legal profession by educating, developing and supporting our members to deliver high-quality, accessible legal services for the benefit of society as a whole. In achieving our mission we are committed to:
- Celebrating difference
- Challenging outdated perceptions
- Combining technical expertise with practical insight and emotional intelligence
- Providing opportunities without barriers
To develop, support and inspire a highly skilled body of legal professionals and make the UK legal sector more efficient, more representative and better able to serve society.
We do this by innovating to deliver:
- Relevant high-quality training
- Ongoing professional development
- Advocacy for our members and the difference they can make
Royal Charter status
On 12 October 2011, the Queen in Council approved our application for Royal Charter. On 30 January 2012 Justice Minister, Jonathan Djanogly presented us with the sealed charter.
There are many benefits that a Royal Charter brings to the public as well as to the Institute and its members, including:
- Our status as an Approved Regulator, Professional Body and Awarding Organisation is enhanced by the additional scrutiny and endorsement of our operations by the Privy Council.
- Formal public recognition for our high standards in qualification, regulation and representation.
- Raised consumer awareness and confidence when seeking legal advice from suitably qualified, regulated lawyers.
- Professional recognition from your peers in the legal profession for your equal standing and expertise as Chartered Legal Executive lawyers.
From that date, the following designatory letters have been used for the following membership grades:
FCILEX – Fellows
GCILEX – Graduate members
ACILEX – Associate members
If you have any questions about The Royal Charter then please complete our general enquiry form.