Funding your CILEx Courses

Financial support available to CILEx students in the academic year 2014-5

CILEx as a chartered professional body and awarding organisation realises that many of its students face difficulties in funding their legal studies.

If you are thinking about studying for a CILEx qualification but are concerned about the costs involved, you could qualify for financial help.  There are a variety of schemes provided by government and other agencies offering funding, financial support and loans for people undertaking training.

Funding of qualifications is complex and will depend on many factors including government funding priorities and for students earners their age, where they live and their financial and personal circumstances, the qualification they wish to complete and mode of attendance (full or part-time) and status of their CILEx accredited centre. 

There is a wide range of information available mainly through the web. This information highlights what funding may be available to help you as a CILEx student in the academic year 2014-15.   

Government funding schemes are different in England and Wales are subject to review and change.

Students should consider the following sources of financial support which are primarily for those studying in the further education sector. There may be other sources of funding and support available on a local or regional basis, including help with child care and travel costs.  Students are also recommended to contact their proposed accredited centre for further  information.


Key sources of advice

National Careers Service – England

Advice, guidance, information and support to help students make decisions on learning, training and job opportunities.   There is a separate link on the site about funding


24+ Advanced  Learning Loans

Advanced Learning Loans provide support for those aged 24 and over to access Level 3 and Level 4 courses in the academic year 2014-15 and will be reviewed for 2015-16.  Eligibility will depend on the course, college or training provider, age and nationality or residency status.

In 2014-15 the CILEx Level 3 Certificate and Diploma in Law and Practice are eligible for an Advanced Learning Loan.

The CILEx Level 6 qualifications are not eligible for an Advanced Learning Loan.  Further information is available at  and


16-19 Bursary Fund – England

This government fund provides help from the government to pay for essential education costs if you are between 16-19 and in Further Education or training.  The bursary scheme is means tested and can help pay for costs including transport to your CILEx accredited centre.

For further information on the 16-19 Bursary fund click here.


Access and Learner Support Funds

Help with the costs of staying on in Further Education and training may also be available through access and learner support funds is usually administered by local Further Education colleges.  Individual colleges set their own eligibility rules; determining their priority groups and maximum amounts they may award. Financial help may be available for travel, books or childcare.  Students should contact their college’s student advice and guidance team before they enrol.


Care to learn: help with childcare while you learn

 If you are a student and a young parent, Care to Learn may help pay for your childcare and related travel costs while you are learning.


Professional career development loans

Professional career development loans (PCDLs) are available for students who are 18 or over, settled in the UK, have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the three years prior to the start of their learning programme and intend to work in the UK, the European Union or the European Economic Area when the course finishes.  

Because the Professional and Career Development loan is (PDCL) is led by demand from students, only a learning provider (a CILEx accredited centre) that has been approached by an individual student who wishes to undertake a course with them may apply for inclusion on the PCDL register.  Therefore if you are interested in applying for a PCDL you should discuss this first with your CILEx accredited centre.

The PCDL may help pay for a course, including CILEx Level 3 Diploma in Law and Practice and Level 6 Diploma in Law and Practice, that lasts up to two years, or a three-year course that includes up to one year of work experience. The criterion is that the course leads to employment or enhances job skills. 

For further information on Career Development Loans click here.

Apprenticeships – CILEx Level 3 and 4 Apprenticeships in Legal Services

For further information on Apprenticeships including payment of the minimum wage and funding available to employers see the Apprenticeship article's on the following pages:



Apprenticeships Get In So Far


Other sources of help

Support from an employer

 In 2014 CILEx completed research which indicated that the majority of employers of CILEx contributed to their employees’ annual membership  and course fees.

CILEx students in employment could initially ask their employer, particularly if the employer is accredited with Investors in People, to help them with their study costs.

 CILEx students could also suggest that employers consider other areas of support, including:

  • Day release and/or study leave;
  • Coaching and mentoring and
  • Providing experience in other areas of work in the business

 If you are going to approach your employer and present a case asking them to support you with your CILEx studies, it is suggested that you outline the potential benefits to the organisation, which may include:

  • Opportunities to qualify as a Chartered Legal Executive lawyer or work as a paralegal specialising in a particular area of law through unitised and nationally recognised legal qualifications;
  • Flexible, adaptable and cost-effective training where training costs may be  tax deductible;
  • Legal qualifications which combine experience in the workplace with academic training including developing professional skills to meet their business targets;
  • Increasing retention of staff; and
  • Enabling support staff to generate business income by converting them into fee-earners on passing CILEx qualifications. 

Information for students in Wales

Wales has its own funding programme and the following websites may be useful.

Adult Education Funding Guide visit


CILEx will continue to review and monitor any changes to funding and students are advised to regularly visit this page.

Further information can been found in the CILEx journal article Get into Law 2015